Mission and Philosophy
Good Shepherd School is a Catholic community, dedicated to the development of the whole child. We foster the spiritual, intellectual, moral, emotional, social, and physical growth of each child by providing a quality Catholic education. Our fellowship helps us to grow in our love for God, his Church, his people, and all of his creation.
Philosophy - The Rhyme Behind the Reason
We believe in educating the whole child spiritually, intellectually, morally, emotionally, socially, and physically. We are mindful of the child’s nature and ultimate goal; the child’s beginning and end is Almighty God.
We believe that faith and virtue are essential for the spiritual, intellectual, moral, and emotional development of each child. By fostering faith and virtue, we aim to enable each child to pursue the good, the true, the beautiful, and to lead a truly Christian life.
We believe that each child has inherent dignity because he or she is created in the image and likeness of God. We understand it is our responsibility to provide experiences that will help each child recognize his or her dignity and ultimate calling.
We believe that education provides an opportunity for growth, creativity, and development of life skills. As a dedicated staff we try to be examples of Christ’s love. It is our goal to create a positive learning atmosphere, to ignite a desire for life-long learning, and to help students achieve their fullest potential.
We believe parents are the primary educators of their children. As Christian educators, we accept the responsibility given to us by the parents of each child and we share in their duty to instill Catholic ideals, attitudes, and heritage.
We believe that we are called to love, and that we cannot fully find ourselves except through a sincere gift of ourselves. Therefore, we have a responsibility to serve others and to build up the Body of Christ, recognizing our membership in our parishes, in our local communities, and in the world.
We will emphasize personal development by:
- Providing experiences in self-expression and exploration
- Giving each child a variety of opportunities to succeed
- Creating a strong sense of personal responsibility for each child’s own behavior toward self and others
We will offer a curriculum that:
- Provides a firm foundation for growth in the academic skills
- Fosters the fine arts
- Develops physical skills and teaches that there is more to sports than winning
- Emphasizes individuality and welcomes creativity
- Disciplines the mind in logical and rational thinking
- Helps the child experience success and encourages excellence
- Provides special attention and care for the individual student
We urge the child to actively participate in the mission of the Church through:
- The dedicated teaching of the Catholic faith
- Opportunities for worship and prayer
- Our Christian example
- Opportunities for involvement in works of charity, justice, and peace
We will provide opportunities for the student to develop:
- Active participation in sponsoring parish life and liturgy
- Parish and community awareness
- Responsible citizenship
- Generous response to human needs
We, as teachers, will strive to develop total growth by:
- Using a variety of teaching methods and materials that will satisfy individual needs
- Helping each child toward mastery of all academic areas
- Creating a positive learning atmosphere
- Continuing our own professional growth and education